Monday 14 March 2016

Back to Vietnam - 7/3/2015

The flight back to Vietnam on "HK Express" wasn't remarkable in almost anyway whatsoever. I had managed to be at the wrong gate just before departure time which had resulted in a mad dash (read speed walk) across terminals, down steps, on subways and back up steps to get to the correct one, only for boarding for the flight to be delayed anyway.  As is now my usual practice I had booked an aisle seat in order to be able to move my legs out for space if necessary, but there was really no need for concern as the leg space afforded  on the flight was probably the most I have had without paying extra for an upgrade. I settled down with the 2 empty seats beside me, placed a few things within easy reach (sweets, blood testing kit, earphones, tablet) and settled in comfortably waiting for boarding to finish and the journey to get underway.

It was as boarding was nearly complete I was approached by a trio of Japanese girls, I would guess in their early twenties who asked, in a way that only the most sincere Japanese person could do, whether would be willing to swap my seat for one of theirs. I put up a little fight initially due to my in built apprehension about leg space, but seeing as that didn't really seem to be a problem here, I changed my mind and reasoned that it wouldn't be any hardship for me to make the switch, and would be a more enjoyable experience for them if all of them could sit together. My new seat was a few rows further down, seat "B" which meant centre seat but was still adequately comfortable. As the plane continued to fill a small tapping registered on my shoulder and I turned around to see one of the girls offering me a present for my "deed" with a big smile on her face. A really nice gesture but one I'm still not sure how to take. Are they saying thank you, or saying I just look knackered? Who knows? Who cares? And who'll remember anyway?*


 With the plane fully loaded, the door shut and the seat between me and the window still empty, I slipped my butt across and belted myself in as the plane took it's place on the runway ready for take off, minowed in stature behind the boeing 747 that was running just before it. An easy takeoff and I watched out the side as Hong Kong disappeared from view, replaced by the seas below and the blankets of cloud. I then drifted off to sleep for the duration of the trip until the announcement that we were soon to be making our decent into Da Nang Airport. In a flight lasting barely a couple of hours I had managed to sleep through most of it. To put this into perspective, during my 28 odd hour trip back to the UK from New Zealand 2 years before, I had managed about 30 seconds in total. That's the difference a little bit of leg room can make. I wish I could afford to get more leg room on the big flights as well, but it would probably be cheaper just to get an operation to make my legs shorter.


Even from altitude, the islands off the coast of Vietnam look stunning and I watched as Da Nang city and the hills around it came closer, with the evening sun just above the horizon reflecting occasionally in the rivers and pools below. It was now that dusked on me that I have only sat in a window seat once before, and that was for my flight from Da Nang to Ha Noi in November 2013, and with many flight in-between you start to wonder whether this is just a coincidence or something that is meant to be. The only Airport I have flown both into and out from in a seat that I can take in the view.

Welcome home? Not quite, but it still felt good to be back here.



* I will.




No comments:

Post a Comment