Tuesday 17 December 2013

30th November - 3rd December 2013 Melaka.

The next few days in Melaka were thankfully less of an ordeal than the first. The Roof Top guest house in which I stayed was beautifully kept and the owners Mani and Raymond were friendly and accommodating, a natural fit for the profession they were engaged in. I stayed an extra night here as I intended only having a short stay in Singapore before I embarked on my flight to New Zealand on the 5th December.

Melaka itself, or the old heritage area in which I was staying is pleasant. On the weekend there is a bustling market that runs along both sides of the of the long, narrow Jonker Street that cuts centrally through it. The Market has a great slow, busy ambiance where traditional food, refreshments, t-shirts, trinkets and the like are available in plentiful supply. At the top end of the street there is an entertainment stand where some of the the local talent provide entertainment for the crowds that amass there in the evening,  under the souless watchful gaze of a printed Wayne Rooney, Paul Scholes and several other Manchester United Players as they hold out their tubes of  Mr Potato crisps, a brand with whom Man U are global snack partners.

It's maybe worth mentioning here just for the record that Manchester United have by far the largest Premier League presence in South East Asia. Then again maybe it's not worth mentioning at all, but the delete button seems so far away now and I don't want to exert my digits anymore than is necessary. Otherwise I'll never get to the bottom of my ready salted tub of Wayne Rooney crisps.

The one negative of the evening was provided by a cortege of pony tailed hare krishna's armed with microphones and loud speakers who brashly crashed the natural good feel of the town and entertainment area with their overbearing presence that could only be measured in WHATTS? I'm all for tolerance, be that personal, religious or cultural but also honestly believe this has to work both ways. These idiots displayed absolutely no respect or understanding for those whom they were interrupting and disturbing, but I refused to let it get my hare off.

Maybe it was due to the more tourist based feel of the place that I also noticed here for the first time trend for large family gatherings and groups to all be clothed in the same coloured garbs. It's really quite a simple and nifty idea, dress everyone in identical loud t-shirts and no one can ever get lost among the busy crowds, streets and shops. The flip side being if your trying to hide from your kin any reason, they will find you!!

Away from the market area are the local Trishaws. 3 wheel pedal bikes and carriages that are traditionally dressed, in bright coloured lights and fairy wings. These ferry the young and old, couples in love (ollocks) or parents with joy faced kids through the the night time street whilst the distorted booming sounds of dance tracks pumped out from the on board music systems. The hits range from the modern classic "Gangnam Style" right through to "Gangnam Style". It's enough to make you Psy.

(Alternative bad punch line:- It's enough to make a groan man psy.)

During the last couple of days I spent in Malaka, the temperature finally cooled to a point where I was able to comfortably wear jeans whilst ambling around. I even got to take out an umbrella, which when not being used to keep the falling rain off my coiffed bonce, could be tapped on the floor to accompany every other step. Very English but utterly ineffective as a walking aid, especially on the highly polished floors of the local shopping malls where the mere hint of pressure placed upon it would cause this tip to try to get away like an over exuberant puppy on the end of a short leash.

The little bugger almost got away from me twice, but I had a handle on it.

At 2pm on the Tuesday I left Melaka on a bus heading to Singapore. Whilst very spacious and  comfortable on board, the bus groaned and creaked loudly over every bump and every turn as it began it's 3 and a half hour journey towards the border. It humoured and  bothered me slightly for a minute or 2 before my eyes fell and I eased off to sleep.






No comments:

Post a Comment