Sunday 6 October 2013

hostel change - 5th October

With the hostel that I had been staying in the last couple of nights full, I checked into a hostel the next street along, the silom art hostel.
Nicely decorated throughout and comfortable enough, this was to be my home for the evening. The room was occupied when I arrived by a bubbly few from indoniesia who were here for one night only on their way for a break in Phuket.  They arrived with empty cases and were off to market tonight to buy things en-route, when they returned I'm not sure how much of a market remained.

In the mean time I got talking to a nice chap from Israel names Eitan who had just come to the end of his travels, doing much of the same trip I was going to do just the other way around. He told me about his journey into thailand, and flight back home. "We can't stop there, they don't like us much" was in response to Dubai, another destination was met with "they don't like us much either", all in good humour of course but it just makes you think of the nonsense that is politics. If you met Eitan not knowing anything about his origins, you would be hard pushed to find anything to fault him on. He was just an ordinary guy from Israel who had gone travelling.

We talked for a little while, he gave me plenty of really helpful tips about where he had travelled as far as giving me the card of a guest house in Ho Chi Min city which is in the street where there are lots of similair accomodation and therefore loads of backpackers frequenting, so I at least knew there was somewhere I could head when I finally arrive in Vietnam to not be completely lost.

Unfortunately,  the lasting memory of Eitan apart from the fact that he had got himself a kindle fire, will be the words "They don't like us much either".

Perhaps "They" need to strap on a backpack and go travelling for a while.

1 comment: