Saturday 16 March 2024

17/12/2013 - The Grand Tour.

My first couple of days were spent visiting shops and markets in search of a silver bracelet of such quality that it would be able to adequately serve as an 18th birthday present in a far off land. Also I had been keeping an eye on travel agent boards as a way of just formulating ideas of what I might be able to do away from the relatively small hub of the old city, and gayer much perusing I eventually found myself sat at a smaller, low key travel agent having a relaxed conversation about our recent histories, including the health reasons as to how I had ended up in that place, and at that time. With the information that I had divulged completed, Moon suggested several trips that she thought I might find suitable, ruling out day trips to Chiang Mai and Laos mainly due to my lack of desire to endure the amount of travel time that would required in a potentially cramped MiniVan for a relatively short time at each of the stated locations. Instead I picked out a tour that would be more local but still away from the city that promised to incorporate visits to some interesting places, try some different foods and hopefully get a bit of a walk in too, but hopefully nothing that was too strenuous. 

    I was one of the earliest passengers to be picked up by the van when it dutifully arrived at 7:30 am, a small blessing as this gave me nearly free reign in choosing where I thought would be a good place to be sat for the coming travels. A preferable situation than being one of the later collections and running the risk of then getting shoe horned into a seat that no one else fancied being in. I picked a single seat on the left hand side and one back from the sliding door entry point. This would allow any groups of two or three to occupy some appropriate seats without the need to be break up their group, and I (with a little bit of discretion) would be able to take injections and do blood sugar.testing without anyone seeing enough as to be offended or faint if they so happened to be triggered by seeing such things. It seemed quite logical to me, but unlike my maths homework of old, I didn't have any place to scribble down and explain my inner workings. Maybe it is time to start carrying a chalk board with me.   

With the van fully loaded and everyone on board, it wasn't long before we were well on our way to our first stop. A gas station with numerous shops and food stalls was lying-in wait for us 19km and 45 minutes after I first got on board. Despite the options available here, there was only the one place that was serving up hot drinks, an Amazon Coffee unit with a queue stretching out of the door and out toward towards the carpark. I decided to give that one a miss and take the opportunity instead to walk a bit more, stretch my legs while I could and visit the mens room. Preventative action incase anything unexpected happened on the next part of the trip which could extended the time as to when chance might arise. 

    Returning back to the seat that I had vacated just twenty minutes before, I was surprised to see the bag that I had left behind earlier had magically turned into a slightly portly, middle-aged lady. Probably down to me looking a little more confused than usual, the bag then started to talk at me, bluntly stating that my stuff had been moved to her old seat right at the front as she didn't think that I would mind changing. Truthfully I kind of didn't really care too much about the positional change, but I did still feel a little put out by her assumption that her needs were greater than anyone else's. If she had simply just asked then I would have likely said "yes, no problem" and thought little else of it. I did find myself giving her daggers though over the way that it had been done. 

    With the non musical chairs finished for now and the door firmly closed at an arms length away, I perched at the edge of the 3 seater bench as we began out trip to the next point of interest. I soon adopted a position with my left leg braced out to the left in order to lessen the chances of my ass finding the floor as we drove up over inclines and around many bends, reaching Wachirathen Falls at just under the hour mark. 

I am not someone who has been overly impressed with waterfall visits in the past, especially ones that I have been to as part of wider organised tours such as the one on my inaugural visit to Asia in 2013. At this place though I did find myself being taken aback more then I thought I would, with the rising vapors from the long drop fall combining with the rays of the morning sun to help clad the scenery in misty rainbows. That spectacle aside however it was a standard enough tourist affair, with carefully positioned platforms that could be utilised for the composing of posed photos and admiration of the view at hand, when gaps in the others that were gathered at the same spot may allow for it. 

Moving back down towards the van pickup point and being careful not to slip on any of the damp logs that were scattered along the way, another shop selling coffee and food grabbed my attention and had me contemplating as to whether it was time for a little extra sustenance to help with the day. Unsure as to how long I would have to consume anything before we started off though, and also not wanting to risk any spillage of hot drink onboard whilst travelling, I chose to forgo any intake bar a couple of sips from my bottled water. I then waited patiently beside the vehicle until it was again time to go. 


With everyone ready and boarded, the side door was slid closed and we set off, making our way up through Dot Inthanon National Park until we reached a traditional village at Ban Luang. Here we were able to see garments being weaved and purchase any of the ones on display if desired, but no pressure or sales pitches were being employed. The visit to the village as a whole felt more like an education rather than anything else, and we were able to walk around for a time taking in the sights and sounds before being led towards a small roastery where we were able to try some coffee or tea. 11:30 am and I had my first brew of the day and it was one that was well worth the wait. I'm not entirely sure whether the mug design had any secondary meaning behind it, but I do admit to liking that little place far too much.   



    At Pa Tueng another 45 minutes drive away, we were treated to a basic but delicious meal comprising of soup, egg and a selection of meats and vegetables which we consumed as we sat around a long table and conversed with those around us. The couple opposite however seemed to be more concerned in trying to work-out between themselves which pronouns might be used for our guide for the day. I think the young man was getting confused by the guides decision to decorate his fingernails with varnish, but maybe that is still a no-go or contentious issue for those who live in Canada.    

The main part of the day was to be taken up with a stop at a point declaring itself as "THE HIGHEST SPOT IN THAILAND" at "2,565,3341 Meters Above Mean Sea Level" for a quick photo op. This was to be followed by a hike around the Kew Mae Pan nature trail which was a reported 2.6km with elevated forest trails and picturesque hillside paths. The views from the highest point on this loop when we arrived were largely obscured by thick, drifting clouds, but it was still something rather special. Perhaps it was a feeling brought on by exertion, the cooler temperature and atmospheric conditions, or simply the result of the low blood sugars that I had been combatting over large parts of the walk to get there, but as I stood back and rested in preparedness for the next stage, there was a sense of calmness to it all that felt almost transcendental.

On the way back as we walked along the blanketed hillside, I was struck by the beauty of a red rhododendron set out against the obscured backdrop. I still dont know why it caught me like it did. Horticulture isn't anything that I have ever shown much particular interest in, but there was something about it being there at that time, in that location in in those conditions which made it impossible not to notice. I made my feeling known to those around me and was able to take a few photographs before we moved on again, not knowing if the images I had taken would be able to do the justice to the scene I had been trying to capture. I hoped I would not be dissapointed, 

At the end of the trail I took a brief moment to dive into the restrooms and change over my now sodden top with a fresh, dry one that I had in reserve in my bag.  I then set about catching back up with the others in the group, only to find which direction to head thanks to one of the ladies in the group who could see that I lost my way and could also whistle very loudly. A skill that I am still yet to master.     

Following a quick stop at Pagodas Naphamethanidon and Naphaphoiphunisiri (a pair twin Pagodas that I had also visited in 2016) which lay nearby, we headed for one final stop at the Thai Hmong Community Market where we would be able to buy some snacks and refreshments for the journey back if wanted. I bought a hot coffee from a vendor which was actually pretty nice, but the guide was less enamored with the hot chocolate bought at the same time that eventually made its way into his hands. I think it was the lack of sugar content that caused his facial contortions, but I do not have any hard proof to back up those suspicions. 

The journey back to the hotel took just over 2 hours in total with me being dropped back to my hotel shortly before 7pm. The more negative flip side to being one of the earliest people to get picked up in th morning is that you will also likely be one of the last to disembark also. The day had been a long one in places, but overall it was one that I had enjoyed. All that remained of the day now was to get showered, change into to some fresh clothes and head out to find somewhere to eat. 

Kats Kitchen once again ended up coming to the rescue.   




 

No comments:

Post a Comment